Wednesday, August 29, 2007

More dying of course


This what I have been doing the last few days..............more dying. I want to make sock kits to sell at the markets so I now had to write up my pattern to put in the kits...not as easy as it sounds! I wrote up how I thought I knit socks then typed it into the computer and printed it out and then the big test.........knit a sock following my directions to see if I missed anything. Well typing the pattern in with all that knit two purl whatever, good grief, what a job! I was cross eyed and crazy by the time I had finished. Then I started on the test sock to find my mistakes, well it would go pretty good for a bit and then with my short attention span I would forget to follow the pattern and just be knitting away..........now did I follow what I had written down?? Who knows............I will really pay attention to the second sock, I did and I think I have the pattern down right so just have to go back and do changes on the pattern in the computer and I am away!!
We live on a hill and the wind almost blows us away, after having to replace the siding and roofing on the back of the house this spring plus the headache of water coming through the non-sided walls before Mr. Fix-it could get here we decided that we had to invest in a wind fence. Mr. Windfence man was so busy when we got in touch with him this spring that he said it would be Aug. before he could get here, we said put us on the list. He phoned and said he would be here last Friday but then phoned and said he could not make it and was coming Monday. Now all the rainfree days we have had this summer why would it decide to rain on Monday, he dug the holes and got the poles up but then had to give up as we could not have gotten the cement truck in without wreaking the yard. I really held out on the windfence thing because we have such a great view, o.k. I would rather not have to deal with the wind so I will just have to sacrifice interference with the view but the posts are just posts.....the color of them is just post color!! I think I thought they would be painted!! Now my work is cut out for me in doing something to disguise or camouflage these post colored posts, maybe I should have planned ahead and had him deliver the posts ahead of time and I could have sponged some color on them.........will have to think on this. He will be here tomorrow hopefully and get the wind netting put up, then we can put stuff on the deck and not have it blow away, what would be great is if I could put wet fibre out to dry and not have to go gather it up in the barnyard.
Well I am off to the garden and see what is going on down there. We battled with the gophers all spring to figure out ways to keep them out of the raised beds we had to resorted to if we wanted to grow anything and now I find them digging up the potatoes to eat so decided to change tactics...........maybe if I could find things that they thought were tastier and put them out and they could eat that and get their mind off the potatoes..........o.k. I had a few cobs of corn that I could sacrifice, so I took them down to the garden and so far it looks like it will work, took down a couple over ripe pears last night........so far so good. I had a friend phone the other day and he asked how the garden was coming so was telling him about the problem with the gophers and how I thought I had maybe solved it. He said that it was the first time he heard of someone negotiating with rodents..........I said what ever works.

No comments: