Follow by Email

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Dog Yarn Sweater Continued......

I will not get into what it has taken me to figure out how to get an imagine inserted into this blog......this time I have written down the detailed instructions. Now to remember where I left off on my knitting! O.K. swatches worked and I had one front knit and it matched the measurements, so on to the other front matching up patterns, so far so good and on to the back making sure the patterns were matching up to the front. Then it was on to the sleeves, she wanted the cuffs long enough to roll down to cover her hands if she wanted. Now this is where I got into trouble with some of the yarn being thicker in some places and thinner than others when I was knitting the raglan portion of the sleeve and the being creative in adding and subtracting rows and stitches, but finally got them the same size and it was at this time my allergy's kicked in......eyes and nose running...throat bothering me....and me starting to feel a little crazy and antihistamines not doing much good.......what am I to do?? I have to finish it. So on to the collar and I thought that should be simple...no pattern....just plain knitting....well.....it was not simple...shaping...shaping...every row was different. Finally had all the pieces knit...and I had to just tuck it away for a while and have a time out.
   Finally I had to bring it back out and get at it, I could not use the yarn I knit with to sew it up as I could not pull the yarn through the knit pieces so went through my stash and found a cone of llama yarn, mill spun, that was close to the color and blended in nicely. But first I had to knit a row of knitting down both fronts to sew the zipper in, if the pattern had been knit in the same yarn as the main body of the sweater I would not have need to do that but the yarn we used for the patterns was softer and would not hold up with the opening and closing of the zipper. So using the dog hair yarn and a crochet hook I pulled stitches through putting them on a knitting needle, I knit one row, then cast off the stitches leaving a strong area to sew the zipper in. Then off to sew all the pieces together...which took a couple of days, stitching the zipper in by hand......what can I say......it is better off if I do not say anything except I got it done. O.K.......sweater is sewn together....now it needs to be lined because the yarn is 100 percent dog hair which as no memory like wool does.....it will really stretch out of shape. I just happened to have some fabric....yes...in my stash ( I have a stash of everything) I had made paper patterns of all the knit pieces before I had sewn the sweater up. I cut  the lining pieces out of a scrap fabric so she could try it on for size, did some alternations to the pattern and made up the lining. Then the job of sewing the lining into the sweater....by hand.
              
And here is the sweater all finished! Dog owner came to get the sweater and I said wear it for a bit
and see if there are any problems and I have not heard from her. Am hoping that is a good sign....



1 comment:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Wow it turned out great. I'm so impressed!