Friday, April 9, 2010

Where does the time go!!




Time is going by so fast and it has been so long since I have written a blog post!! Bad Blogger!! But what can you say about painting trim and cleaning. Have to think back and see if anything else is new. I did get some alpaca fibre sorted and sent to the local mill to have some mattress covers and duvets made and have them back already, I put one of the mattress covers on my bed and love it, is so comfortable for the arthritic bones I tell you. Also sent some alpaca fibre to the mill to have socks made, do not have them back yet. Then sorted some of my better llama and alpaca fibre and washed it up and sent it to a mill down east to be spun into yarn, can not wait until I get it back, the mill owner said they could process it right away before the fibre arrives from the spring shearing, so it should not be that long. In a week or so depending on the weather we have to start shearing our llamas and alpacas, we do it ourselves so it takes a while. This year we have four young animals that it will be their first shearing and their fleece is such a mess so will have to clean them up first, much easier to clean the fleece on the animal than stand at the sorting table picking all the debris out. Last night north of us had a snow storm blow in but all we got was the wild wind, we are so dry here the ground is still brown so hope some moisture is on the way, have been trying to get a few small trees moved around in the yard hoping the moisture will come or we will be watering, I had to water the front flowerbeds as they were so dry, had the water going last night and when I went out to turn it off there was ice forming on the fence so it is not that warm yet. Got a few pictures of Blossom and Posy the other day, Blossom was the one that never wanted her picture taken and Posy was always wanting hers taken, now it is Blossom coming to see what I am doing and Posy saying no way she wants me to take pictures, funny girls. Have to get out to the other paddock and try to get a new picture of Bella the little alpaca, I seen her the other day chasing the gophers in the pasture, wish I had been close enough for pictures, it was too cute.

4 comments:

Jody said...

A camelid fibre mattress cover and duvet sounds pretty wonderful to me:)
We put some Rocky Mountain alpaca covers on some of the cria to protect their fine fleeces (shearing is next month) and they work fantastic!

Laughingrat said...

Aw, the picture with the dog is especially cute!

Jody said...

The Rocky Sheep coats and Matilda coats were both used for the crias. I am not sure what sizes you would need to get a few different sizes (you need to measure the animal first of course). We put them on early winter just as the animals were starting to feed hay. I am keeping them on the sheep as much as possible too.

Yvette said...

I want a pet alpaca!