Monday, September 30, 2013
I have never dyed any yarn in the Microwave...I always rainbo dye in large pots on the stove but now we have the extra MW oven as in this place the MW had to be over the stove and had a special exhaust system, I had an oven I could use. It is in a cabinet downstairs in the work room and although I have no water down there as yet I could just carry some down as I was going to experiment on just a couple of skeins. So O.K. I soaked the skeins in some vinegar water and set about getting a work area set up, I thought I better plug the MW in and make sure it worked....well the light came on....but....I had forgotten how everything worked so off to find the instructions...got the clock going and after reading instructions I remembered how things work so off to color the skein of wool. I had blue and red dye already mixed up, so got it ready to go and noticed a small amount of some purple mixed up so took that with me...was just going to wing it as it was just an experiment. Got the first skein laid out on the plastic wrap and applied the red and blue dye and got it rolled up and in the dish I was using and put it in the MW and got it turned on and going...but...nothing was heating up....I would set the time to cook and away it would go...but it was not cooking!!&^&*(&^% O.K.!! I got a pot out and ran it upstairs and put it on the stove and got the steamer rack in it and turned the burner on and went back downstairs to put dye on the other skein and get it wrapped up in the plastic wrap, I had seen somewhere that you could put your jelly rolled skein into a large freezer bag before putting it in the MW....but how would that work in a steamer...sitting on a metal rack...I thought what do I have to lose...nothing is going to plan anyway!! So got the skeins in the large ziplock freezer bags leaving the top open a bit so steam could get out...put the lid on and set the timer. When time was up I took the lid off the kettle and let the yarn cool in the bags then filled the sink with warm water about the same temp of the skeins adding some salt to set the color.....I had left too much water in the skeins before I put the dye on them so they were a bit sloppy....I mean what else could I do wrong!! So gave the skeins a couple of washes until the color was not coming out and really....they looked pretty good. so hung them to dry overnight and reskeined them this morning. This is how they came out..
Saturday, September 28, 2013
Well here I am again...hoping I have found myself and will be posting again. I had moved my laptop down to my work room for the summer as I thought it would be cooler and also would not have any interruptions when I wanted to use the laptop...as you see it did not work out, just never seemed to get to the computer when it was out of sight. So have just moved it back upstairs and have spent a couple of hours trying to get it working properly. We have the big computer upstairs but for some reason the photo thingy is just not behaving...will not downsize the pictures so I can send them on. So here goes...the summer was so busy...tornado warnings....bad hail storms...getting flowers beds up and going.....on going knitting for farmers markets..shearing llamas and alpacas...processing the fibre.....baby alpacas and llamas being born...and landscaping...landscaping...and more landscaping. So will just have to start at the beginning where I left off and skim through the summer as it is fall already. First came the threat of the tornado, I had been working down in the workroom with no radio going and RH came home from town and said have you not been listening to the radio....so off we went around the yard putting everything that could blow around away thinking we could get some strong winds and I gathered up all my potted plants on the front deck and put them in reach of the front door....just incase and then stood at the window and watched the big black cloud coming over us.....